There are 5 different causes of hearing loss in children and adults can be experienced as either sensorineural or conductive hearing loss. There are numerous causes that can lead to these types of hearing loss, yet among these causes are the most common ones.
1. Loud noise: The most common and obvious cause of hearing loss is constant exposure to very loud noise or sounds: Certainly, our ears have limits as to how much noise they can take. When one is constantly exposed to very loud noises, there is a high probability that in the long run ears will be damaged.
2. Infection: Studies have shown that there are viruses that can affect any part of the ears; thus resulting to hearing loss.
3. Reaction to drugs: There are certain drugs particularly medicines used for chemotherapy that cause hearing loss. That is why it is important to follow prescriptions from your doctors especially for expecting mothers.
4. Birth defects: Exposure to certain toxic drugs while inside the womb contributes to birth defects, as well as lack of oxygen.
5. Genetics: Sometimes hearing loss can be genetically acquired due to gene mutations. There are instances that parents are born deaf and so are their children. That is why ENT consultation should be considered to assess the severity of hearing loss.
If you’re planning to have your ear check, don’t compromise it. Better find an expert who can help you on your ear problems. Contact us to find an ear clinic in Cebu.